Time: 15 – 45 minutes depending on if rice is already made.
- 1.5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp whole black mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 green Thai bird chilis or 2 serrano peppers, slit lengthwise
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Reduce heat and add the whole black mustard seeds. Stir until they pop, about 15 seconds.
- Add chopped garlic and slit green chillies. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes, taking care not to brown the garlic.
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder. Stir until they impart their color to the oil, about 10 seconds.
- Immediately add the white rice and stir until thoroughly coated with the oil.
- Season to taste with salt salt and serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.