- Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp minced, grated, or powdered Ginger
- 3 to 5 cloves minced Garlic
- 1/3 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1/3 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Cold Water
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook ginger and garlic for 30 seconds to a minute, then add the five spice and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the soy sauce and sugar, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch and cold water together, then add the solution to the pan and stir. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce thickens and becomes glossy. Reduce the heat to low and keep stirring until you’re ready to pour it over the cooked seitan and vegetables in whatever pan they’re cooking in.